Piccalilli


I saw Pam (the Jam) on Hugh FW Riverside Cottage make piccalilli and it looked dead easy and as Paul often eats it I decided to give it a go. At the end of the last summer I had a glut of courgettes, so I bought a cauliflower, and there were radishes marked down in Waitrose (Pam had used these in the TV program), and I also added some chopped onion.

Pam's Piccalilli recipe

2kg washed, peeled vegetables - select 5 or 6 from the following: cauliflower or romanesco cauliflower, radish, green beans, cucumbers, courgettes, green or yellow tomatoes, tomatilloes, carrots, small silver-skinned onions or shallots, peppers, nasturtium seed pods
100g fine sea salt
60g cornflour
20g ground turmeric
20g English mustard powder
20g ground ginger
1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
2 tsp crushed cumin seeds
2 tsp crushed coriander seeds
1.2 litres cider vinegar
300g granulated sugar
100g honey
Method: How to make Pam's piccalilli
1. Cut the veg into small, even, bite-sized pieces. Place in a large colander over a bowl, and sprinkle with the salt. Mix well, cover with a tea towel and leave in a cool place for 24 hours, then rinse the veg with ice-cold water and drain thoroughly.

2. Blend the cornflour, turmeric, mustard powder, ginger, mustard seeds, cumin and coriander to a smooth paste with a little of the vinegar. Put the rest of the vinegar into a saucepan with the sugar and honey and bring to the boil. Pour a little of the hot vinegar over the blended spice paste, stir well and return to the pan. Bring gently to the boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes to allow the spices to release their flavours into the thickening sauce.

3. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully fold the well-drained vegetables into the hot, spicy sauce. Pack the pickle into warm, sterilised jars and seal immediately with vinegar-proof lids. Leave for about 6 weeks before opening. Use within a year.

I checked out my book of preserves that I have had for years after I made this and note that they added 2 crushed cloves of garlic and used less sugar 175gms

...I didn't add the honey or cumin as I didn't have either, but I think I did the rest. It tasted lovely - I don't normally like it. The veg was actually recognisable, unlike supermarket stuff that is all diced. Having said that it was quite chunky for a sandwich!

I gave some away for presents - and realised I was an 'l' short in the label! It was very much liked :)

Comments